Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fish. Damn Fish.

So when I created this blog, I added a fish gadget at the bottom of the page; you know, just for fun.  Well  now I feel guilty if I don't feed them.  They're not real fish.  Wow, the pressure we place on ourselves, even for totally insignificant things.

This pseudo-guilt I place on myself for my lack of feeding the damn cyber fish is ridiculous, but it says something about character.  I feel responsibility to care for people, animals, and things around me.  Sometimes I place too much responsibility on myself then look back and feel overwhelmed.  I can't really curse the world for placing so much on my shoulders when it's self-inflicted.  As a nurse, I think that it comes with the role to a point.  We are caregivers who place the responsibility of the health of our patients on ourselves.  It is a huge disservice to ourselves, putting unrealistic expectations upon the care we give, knowing full well that if we fail (usually only failure by our own definition), we will internally punish ourselves until we have eaten just enough of our self-esteem away to hurt.  Ugh. Stupid fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment