Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ok, I'm back...school gets in the way of progress

My next term of my MSN program starts on Friday, so I figured I had better get started on a blog I wanted to do since February. So I procrastinate; who's perfect?

Work has been a tumultuous, stressful, endless flow of crap the past few days. Short staffing and heavy patients take a toll after a while. I work with an amazing group of people, so we get by; however, getting by just isn't an acceptable way to be for any length of time.

Several weeks ago, I worked with a patient who had terrible back pain followed by respiratory distress caused by his inability to take deep breaths. He developed partial lung collapse and eventual pneumonia. He passed away today, and I can't help but feel profoundly sad about it. I always feel some sadness when a patient I worked with passes on, but I had connected with him during his distress. I know nurses who have lost that empathy and aren't affected by death anymore. If I ever lose this ability to feel, then I am out of the game for good. This is how I know I am doing the right thing with my life.

I work tonight, so I am off to mentally prepare for the onslaught of body fluids, endless interruptions, and expectations without thanks. All in a days work...

No comments:

Post a Comment