Friday, November 26, 2010

The cons outweigh the pros

There's a new job that I can have if I want it; 12-hour night shifts, 72 hours per pay period, every third weekend.  This comes out to mean that I would get about 8 days off every three weeks.  Sounds good, yes?  It would be in the critical care float pool; I would work in the ICU, Cardiac Critical Care and the Emergency Room.  It would be a great experience, but the more I think about it, the benefits are not as great as the job I have worked hard to get that I already have.  I don't work weekends, I work 4 day shifts of my 10, I have an office to focus in, and a great team to work with on both day and night shifts.  If I go to the float pool, I have no real team, no camaraderie that comes with a consistent group of coworkers.  I would get bounced from unit to unit, getting probably the crappy assignments because I'm a float, so no patient continuity.  I have to decide by November 30th.  What to do?  What to do?

2 comments:

  1. If the cons outweigh the pros, don't you already have your answer? Unless its a HUGE -UGE -UGE pay raise, it appears you've already decided. Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well yeah, the cons are starting to outweigh the pros, but I keep getting hung up on wanting those 8 days off every three weeks and think I can just deal with the other things. I'm tired and burnt out so the time off sounds good.

    ReplyDelete